Monday, April 5, 2010

~ Easter ~

The Easter Bunny is not a modern invention. The symbol originated with the pagan celebration of Eastre. The goddess, Eastre, was worshipped by the Anglo-Saxons through her earthly symbol, the rabbit.

The Germans brought the character of the Easter rabbit to America. It was widely ignored by other Christians until shortly after the Civil War. In fact, Easter it was not widely celebrated in America until after that time.

As with the Easter Bunny and the holiday itself, the Easter egg predates the Christian holiday of Easter. The exchange of eggs in the springtime is a custom that was centuries old when Easter was first celebrated by Christians.

From the earliest times, the egg was a symbol of birth in most cultures. Eggs were often wrapped in gold leaf or, if you were a peasant, colored brightly by boiling them with the leaves or petals of certain flowers. Today, children hunt colored eggs and place them in Easter baskets along with the modern version of real Easter eggs (those made of plastic or chocolate candy).



As for my Easter Sunday we had a family get together like everyone else, ate a delicious meal, went out to hunt for Easter eggs, and watched the Blind Side. It was a pretty good day, and I enjoyed spending it with my little brother and sister and the rest of the family.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the history of the Easter Bunny. I never knew any of that....It was nice to see your pictures of you and your little siblings. I'm sure you are the perfect "older sister"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awh thanks Jo Ann, I really am :) hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats a cool history of easter...i still havent seen The Blind Side yet but i will soon

    ReplyDelete


A little about me...

Hi, my name is Tiffany Crum. I'm 18 years old, I've always been one of the youngest in my class. 2009 Graduate of Chuckey-Doak High School. Throughout High School I was on the National Honors Society and I played volleyball and softball. Volleyball being my favorite. I was also Secretary Class Officer and voted Bestlooking. I now live in Wisconsin, I moved here from a small town called Greeneville, Tennessee. It's quite the place you would call boring! I have a fifteen year old brother that still lives in Tennessee. I also have a two year old sister and two months old baby brother that both live here in Genoa with me and my family. I moved to Wisconsin to live with my mom and to go to college here. I am attending Western Tech this semester to pursue my career as a Dental Assistant and Dental Hygienist. It was a random program to pick while i was choosing but i think it fits me best.

I'm the kind of girl who is up for anything. I consider myself nice, and I can talk about anything. I'm random. I can't concentrate on a conversation if the TV's on. My middle name is Dawn. I love surprises. I'm fascinated with taking pictures, especially black & white. I like people who are sarcastic and laugh about anything, then again I can be the one who is still comfortable around shy & quiet people. I never assume someone's not being honest with me. I trust too much. I'm always organized. Well that's a little bit about my life.