Thursday, April 22, 2010

New York Times Article "Earth Day"

In many ways I believe that the world has changed so much when it comes to dealing with “keeping green clean” and helping the earth stay fresh. Earth day was founded about 40 years ago and the big businesses have taken it way out of proportion. Author Leslie Kaufman says in her article, At 40, Earth Day Is Now Big Business, “Many groups now accept money from corporations or partnering with them to change social behavior” (Kaufman, web). So many communities still celebrate earth week, they have an entire week of activities focused on environmental issues. A lot of citizens still have the idea of keeping the earth bright at heart, they love working and cleaning to make their home a better looking place. So many are serious about making shirts and asking college students to get out and help, it’s so important to them, that it kind of seems like a religion. They want it clean and that’s what they’ll work for until it is but according to these big corporations they could care less what it looks like, just so they continue to get their money for making “keep green clean” products. “To many pioneers of the environmental movement, eco-consumerism, creeping for decades, is intensely frustrating and detracts from Earth Day’s original purpose” (Kaufman para 5). Many people have turned to the negative light and the well-known celebration itself has outlived its usefulness, it isn’t the way it used to be.

Earth Day is now observed each year on April 22 in practically every country on Earth. Earth Day is now coordinated globally by the Earth Day Network. It’s a great awareness and appreciation day for the environment and it always will be unless everyone turns out like the big corporation owners and workers.

Kaufman, Leslie. New York Times: At 40, Earth Day Is Now Big Business (WEB).

No comments:

Post a Comment


A little about me...

Hi, my name is Tiffany Crum. I'm 18 years old, I've always been one of the youngest in my class. 2009 Graduate of Chuckey-Doak High School. Throughout High School I was on the National Honors Society and I played volleyball and softball. Volleyball being my favorite. I was also Secretary Class Officer and voted Bestlooking. I now live in Wisconsin, I moved here from a small town called Greeneville, Tennessee. It's quite the place you would call boring! I have a fifteen year old brother that still lives in Tennessee. I also have a two year old sister and two months old baby brother that both live here in Genoa with me and my family. I moved to Wisconsin to live with my mom and to go to college here. I am attending Western Tech this semester to pursue my career as a Dental Assistant and Dental Hygienist. It was a random program to pick while i was choosing but i think it fits me best.

I'm the kind of girl who is up for anything. I consider myself nice, and I can talk about anything. I'm random. I can't concentrate on a conversation if the TV's on. My middle name is Dawn. I love surprises. I'm fascinated with taking pictures, especially black & white. I like people who are sarcastic and laugh about anything, then again I can be the one who is still comfortable around shy & quiet people. I never assume someone's not being honest with me. I trust too much. I'm always organized. Well that's a little bit about my life.